Moving into a new home does not have to be stressful, in fact, it should be an exciting time in your life. However, if not organised properly, things can go wrong very quickly, resulting in added expenses, headaches, and wasted time. I moved to 7 different countries the past 15 years and now consider myself expert when it comes to successful house relocation planning. I’ve decided to share with you some of my top organisational tips for moving house.
ONE WEEK PRIOR TO MOVING:
• Finalise the exact date of the move
• Get all of your documents in order and put them in a safe place
• Make sure you have all the necessary packing materials
• Create an inventory list
• Plan meals around what is left in the fridge
ADDRESS CHANGE CHECKLIST:
• Post Shop
• Driver’s License
• Utilities, Sky, Internet Provider, Rubbish Removal
• Bank & Credit Card Companies
• Newspaper and/or Magazine Subscription
Prior to packing, divide your possessions into those to be relocated to your new home, those for sale, and those to be donated to charities and/or recycled. Here is a list of some of your options:
• Give away to family or friends
• Donate to charities like the Salvation Army or the Red Cross
• Sell items at a yard sale/garage sell or online
• Give to appropriate Recycling Facilities
After this step is done, organising the packing of your possessions and labelling the boxes for the correct location in the new property is very important. You must remember it is essential to inform your insurance company that you are moving so that your goods are covered whilst in transit. They will require an inventory, so please make sure that this is done beforehand.
• Place all electrical cords and remotes into one storage box.
• Remove light bulbs from lamps.
• The lawnmower needs to have the oil and petrol drained.
• Leave out some rain jackets in case it rains on moving day.
• Keep out the tools that you will need to reassemble furniture in a separate box or in the glove compartment of your car.
• Tape screws, nuts, bolts, and other loose items to the underside of furniture.
These are just a few moving tips to make relocating a little less stressful. Don’t forget to declutter before you pack, it will save lots of time in the future.